Solar Charger Week Two

So far, I have successfully tested the controller circuit for the project. The panels worked fine, however they did not generate enough current. So, there’s that problem, anyways I at least have the wires soldered on and the panel housing built. Also, the diode I’ve been using in my circuit, can’t handle the high current, but that can  easily be fixed.

Week Two_TM

 

Never thought I could ever be so productive. In one week we were able to go over the “for” and “while” loops as well as how to use exponential functions. When a wall was finally hit we were taught how to trouble shoot with the “Serial” commands. The ending result for the walking sequence was a lot simpler than I thought it would be. The loops I originally had consisted of “whiles” ,”fors”, “ifs”, they were everywhere.  The exponential counting definitely made our lives a lot easier, and will be a well remembered function. Although the Walking Cycle was completed the progress, however, didn’t end there. Right before the weekend started, I was able to get a small motor ready for the next experiment. Hopefully week three can be and will be just as productive. Continue reading Week Two_TM

Robot Arm Drawing and Drawing the Robot Arm

During the first few days of the week, I continued my work with the arm, and now it is able to use parametric equations to draw shapes.  The prototype arm can now draw both X’s and O’s at a given location and size.  The video below shows the arm drawing an O on the board, and many previous test O’s can be seen as well.

Continue reading Robot Arm Drawing and Drawing the Robot Arm

Arduino Traffic Light_DB ( Week 2)

This week of DAHS Robotics my objective was to create a traffic light with similar hardware of the spaceship interface I previously built. There were many conflicts that arose when attempting to program the traffic light to run its cycle and transition to the crosswalk cycle, and then return to the main cycle. The solution to this conflict was to start fresh and create a series of “if statements” (Command on the Arduino Program), that would cause a counting effect which then allowed the different lights to come on during the count; equations of certain values controlled when the lights came on and off. If the count detected the button being pressed then it would atomically cause the red light to come on, then the cycle would restart; this is how the crosswalk was created. It’s been a progressive week of robotics once again,  I have learned new coding skills and strategies to apply to future robotic projects, including a “for loop” that adds numbers, a serial code that allowed the Arduino board to communicate with the computer, and even creating my own functions.

Solar Powered Phone Charger

My project is a solar powered phone charger that is mounted on a post next to pre-existing benches. The Idea behind it is to let people charge their phones while in the park. They are located in Lehr Park in Dover, PA. I will be making three of these chargers. So far, I have my project built and the posts cemented in but I cannot mount it until I have tested and verified that it works. . Testing can only occur when the weather is optimal. The only other thing I’m planning on doing after I test it is to solder all of the components to a board and, to find a suitable housing for it. For this I’m planning on using an 8″ PVC junction box.

Week One of Arduino Kit_DB

In this first week of robotics I was introduced to creating codes to have the Arduino control and have my circuits function a certain way. I constructed a Spaceship Interface out of the “ Arduino Projects Book ” which gave me a review of my previous electronics course, and which also enabled me to type up my first code to the Arduino. The most interesting project out of this week was converting my Spaceship Interface Circuit into a traffic light just from changing the code to the Adruino. I am just picking up the basics and fundamentals of programming, but am challenging myself to now add a crosswalk into my traffic light. Creating this crosswalk into my circuit will require a button to trigger the crosswalk to run its cycle. I will be brainstorming and learning new strategies this week to create a effective code to have the crosswalk correct In my circuit.

Controlling the Arm with a Raspberry Pi

This week I began working with the prototype tic tac toe arm.   It is controlled using a motor driver, a Raspberry Pi, and the GPIO software library.  At this point it is difficult to use the hardware and software together.  The first step is to create a parametric equation of the shape the arm should draw.  Next, coordinates are converted into angles that the arm must create.  Finally, these angles are converted into “steps” for the motors.  This process is complicated, and while the arm can simply turn on and off for a set period of time, specific equations are not yet working.

Image result for raspberry pi

Week One_TM

In this one week I was able to create a working “Space Ship Interface” and successfully turn it into a working traffic light. The hardware was simple, simple LED’s and resistors a long with a few wires, and the software, just a simple loop of setting three pins from LOW to HIGH to turn them off and on is simple enough to understand at this stage in the course.

YAY!!!!!! FAULTY BUTTONS!!!!