Two Steps Forward and One Step Back

Oct. 4 – Oct. 17

I learned how an ultrasonic distance sensor works. I’ve written code for forward, backward, and stop. However, as I was testing the circuit one day and connected the power supply to the circuit I fried my Arduino because the voltage was set to 16 volts. There was a wire that I misplaced that connected the power supply to the Arduino and thus dooming my circuit. So I had to change out my Arduino, also I swapped out the H-bridge for a single motor driver, and then changed to a dual motor driver. With figuring out what all was damaged I had to alter my code slightly and rewire some parts of my circuit for the new motor driver. On the upside, the current motor driver will be able to handle the power (forward, back) and the steering (left, right) at the same time as opposed to having two separate motor drivers.

Once I got back on track to where I was before frying my circuit I had to figure out how I want this robot to be able to turn left or right. Originally the idea was to have three distance sensors each facing in one direction and when one sensed an object it would tell the motor to move accordingly. However, there could be a different way to go about this. I could have a motion detection sensor and when it senses an object at a certain degree it will tell the robot to move left or right.

The Beginning

Sept. 16 – Oct. 3

After some thought and research I have decided to build a projector robot. My vision for this robot is heavily influenced by Tipron, a projector robot that was created around 2016. It will follow you around and display the news, the weather, or twitter and you can teach it to know certain points in your home to go to and so on. My robot will be able to track an object, avoid obstacles, move the projected image up and down, and hopefully be able to follow clap commands.

To start I had to take control of the car and be able to control the direction and steering. It took a bit of time for me to get right onto track because I didn’t know exactly where to start, but once I got going it was pretty smooth sailing. The main hindrance in getting the motor to work came down to one faulty wire, once I changed that out I got the motors working. Then I wired the steering on the open side of the H-bridge and took control of that also, then slowed down the speed of the car. My next task is to either figure out how to use an ultrasonic distance sensor to make it do what I want and figure out the base of the robot, that will hold the projector.  

Islands

My new Islands setting

This week I spent most of the time polishing rivers, but I also took some time to lay the ground work for additional terrain types. I also created an Island Algorithm, which can be used to create maps like the one displayed above.