Today is the last day of the year for our class to be able to work on our robotic drums. They are fully functioning. There will be no more updates on progress since there will be no more progress. We are now moving on to working on a final write-up/documentation of the robotic drums.
As you may have seen by the video post that was put up earlier, the drums are now fully functioning. But even though the drums work, a lot of fine tuning needs to be done in order for the drums to be perfected.
This week, we have been working on creating a button for the drum circuit that plays a rimshot when pressed. We also are working on getting the full drum set playing. Once out mounts for the drumsticks are finished, all eight drums will be ready to play.
This past week, the MIDI Drums group has been working on perfecting the design of the drum set. Also, we have been working on making a case for the drum circuit for easy transportation and storage. Continue reading MIDI Drums Update
First off, I have not posted anything on the website over the last couple of weeks, so I will do my best to catch you up on everything that we have been doing with our robotic drum project to this point. Over the past two weeks, we have been mainly working on conversion of MIDI signal into a code that can be received by a linear actuator. The linear actuator will push a drumstick, making it strike the drum. The group that is working on the drums has perfected the design for one of the drumstick mounts, but seven more need to be made for a full drum set to be present. The MIDI to Arduino programming has been a little more difficult. Continue reading Updates for Robotic Drums
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been working on some projects from the Arduino Uno project book. I completed a few of these projects in order to give myself some familiarity with how to write the coding for the Arduino. I completed a project called The Crystal Ball, which randomly generated responses to any question, much like like a Magic Eight Ball. Also, I completed an organ for the Arduino chip, as well as a motor that changed direction at the touch of a button. Now, I am working in a group to complete an autonomous drumset. I will post more about this in future posts.
Over the past week, if finished my soldering my circuit to the PC Board. The circuit was extremely complex, and it had many connections that needed to be made between the 3 microprocessors of the circuit. At this point, the circuit it is all but working, and it just needs a few more connections on the board that may need troubleshooting. I will post pictures of the completed circuit once it is complete. The schematic of the circuit is listed below.
This week, I had a very limited amount of time to work on my project due to class being shortened due to inclement weather in our area. I began to solder all of my parts to my PC board. It will be very tight, but all of the parts will fit into the breadboard somehow. All of the microchip holders, as well as the LCD display and a few capacitors are already soldered to the board. I am hoping to have the entire circuit soldered together by the next time that I create a post. If you want to know what circuit I am talking about, follow the link below.
If you have any questions, leave a comment!
This week, I finished my circuit on the breadboard. I had a couple of issues when I was trying to complete the process. My first issue was the diagram of the circuit, which can be accessed in the link below. The diagram says that pin 3 on the 74LS247 microchip should connect to the display, when it should say that pin 13 connects to the display. Also, one of the pins on the 74LS192 microchip was not properly functioning due to an improper amount of voltage coming out of on of its pins, so it needed to be replaced. Lastly, it turned out that a common anode display was needed for this circuit instead of a common cathode display. Once these problems were fixed, however, the project worked smoothly. I am now in the process of laying out my circuit on a PC Board.
I am currently working on creating the breadboard model of a numbers-game circuit. The game involves pressing one of two buttons that makes the 7-segment LCD display count either forwards or backwards rapidly. When the button is released, the LCD will display a numerical value. This number is your score. You can play by yourself, or with friends. The goal of the game is to reach 100 points as quickly as possible. I am currently finishing up the breadboarding process, and just a few more connections need to be made for the circuit to be fully-functioning.