In the image above, there is a linear actuator with over 1 kilogram of weight strung from the end of it. What was being done here is trying to calculate how many Newtons of force this linear actuator could produce when it pushes outward.
Continue reading Applied Physics
The updated GPS for the autonomous car was finished this week. A small sensor called a magnetometer arrived early in the week, it’s essentially a very accurate compass. After some fine tuning and editing of the code, the new GPS unit can tell you to turn either right or left when navigating to a set point.
The H-Bridges have begun to be assembled. Four groups of two were formed, each with the task of creating the H-Bridge design that Gerrick Ruffner and I created. Currently there are five out of the eight working. Soon, the rest should be completed. The purpose of these H-Bridges is to make a motor go from reverse to forward or from left to right. These will be used on the GPS Car and possibly on the self-playing drum. The era of the H-Bridge Relays has begun.
This week was highly productive as well as satisfying in the amount of results we were able to produce with the drum project. we were able to add an knob to the circuit that allows us to change the tempo, with a range between 60 BPM and 200 BPM. We also began to program the arduino to play two seperate drums.
I unfortunately missed posting last week, so I’m getting this one up early.
The majority of my work, so far, has been on creating an efficient and effective H-Bridge circuit for use on the GPS car, the automated drum if necessary, and any future projects that may call for it.
Pictured above, is the layout of the H-Bridge circuit and and the first completed circuit (minus its jacks). Matthew and I worked together to create both the layout and the prototype circuit.
Using relays (the big black and white parts) to control the direction of the electric current, this can be used with an arduino to alternate the direction of a motor, since most simple motors in circuits can only be turned on and off. Whereas this one can change direction.
And this featured part is an art piece created by Austin “Tony” Shaffer, titled “Ink and Solder”.
Today’s list of accomplishments…
1. The Robo-Drum is playing by itself.
2. MIDI protocol is being researched and prototyped for the drum.
3. The H-Bridge prototype was finalized and plans were made for manufacturing seven more.
4. The car avoided an obstacle.
5. The car’s navigation system is built and being coded.
6. The parts were ordered for the complete drum system.
These are each amazing accomplishments and that’s just one day. Keep up the great work everyone!
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been working on some projects from the Arduino Uno project book. I completed a few of these projects in order to give myself some familiarity with how to write the coding for the Arduino. I completed a project called The Crystal Ball, which randomly generated responses to any question, much like like a Magic Eight Ball. Also, I completed an organ for the Arduino chip, as well as a motor that changed direction at the touch of a button. Now, I am working in a group to complete an autonomous drumset. I will post more about this in future posts.
Autonomous GPS Car
Testing for the car is going very well. Though, there is some complications with the sensors and the bugs in the program. The problem with the sensor (sonar) is that sometimes it does not sense the distance from walls and does not stop. Continue reading Autonomous GPS Car/Vex Robotics
Over the course of the past week, a lot of work has been done on the autonomous car, both to the physical vehicle and the program.
Continue reading Price of Progress: Not so Expensive
This week, i learned how to use the Arduino. My associates and i, i.e. Jarret and Noah, began to assemble a mounting structure for the drum project.
Have a super awesome day.