This week I finally got a working version of the river algorithm for the Map Project. I also accidentally created a lake algorithm, and intentionally created ponds for the rivers that become sad and confused and cannot make it to the oceans. Here is a close up image so you can see the ponds:
And Here is a view of the whole map:
The river algorithm itself isn’t all that complex. First, the program draws the map. It then picks 30 points (Scales with chosen map size) and for each of them populates a river. The river is populated by painting the base point, checking the 8 touching points, moving to the lowest one, and painting that. It repeats this until there aren’t any lower points,at which point it makes a pond, or until it reaches the ocean.
I spent the majority of the week working on a river algorithm for my map project. It’s been tedious, but I think I have the broad strokes of a working system hammered out. Not much to show visually, and it definitely needs some polishing. It’s going to take some time to get it fully implemented.
I’ve made great strides in my Map Generation project this week, as the previous few weeks have been split between research and watching the program put large unwanted black holes everywhere. I’ve worked out the kinks of my OpenSimplexNoise heightmap, and I’ve added a Biome system which will later be expanded upon, and some actual UI. Also, colors. The attached map was generated in a successful test of the program on default settings.
For my first project I was assigned to build a traffic light, a relatively simple project but complex for someone who knows nothing about how to code. My struggles were mainly software related as I had to learn the fundamentals about coding and the language. After I made a functioning traffic light that cycled through green, yellow, and red, I then had to install a pedestrian button that would interrupt the cycle and turn the lights to red. It took a bit of time for me to fully comprehend what all had to fully go into programming the button to change the cycle.
Once I figured it out and made a functional traffic light with a pedestrian button I was then tasked to construct a motorized pinwheel. Which was also a relatively simple project, I didn’t face many problems completing this project it was pretty straight forward. After I understood how to spin a motor going one direction, I then had to make a motor that could spin both forwards and backwards and change the speed. This project is where I spent most of days doing. Initially the problem was with the H-bridge (a component that enables the user to hold large circuit within one component). So I had to switch it with another H-bridge, then the button that changed the direction of the motor was not working and, after some testing I realized the problem relied within the hardware and upon more investigation found out that one of the pins on the second H-bridge was not working so the rest of the circuit was not getting the information the button was being pressed. The thankfully, the H-bridge has two sides that are separate from each other, meaning that I was able to switch all the wires on the broken side and move them to a side where it was working. After I made that change my circuit worked and the motor was changing directions.
After completing that circuit, I then made a project that was much simpler than the previous. I made a simple Servo circuit, which pretty much just made a motor spin at specific degrees. Then made it turn similar to a windshield wiper which ranged from 20 degrees to 160 degrees (because motors can’t really spin all the way to 0 and 180 otherwise they spaz out).
I’m clearly breaking the noise algorithm somewhere, and It’s making giant holes in my mountains. The 3d side project is going to wait until I can get these holes out of my mountains. As of right now it just looks like splotchy static.